Making in NYC Versus Africa
Fashion Design (School of Art and Design)
- Making in NYC Versus Africa
- Contributor Names
- Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, N.Y.). School of Art and Design
- Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, N.Y.). Fashion Design Department
- Fashion Institute of Technology (New York, N.Y.). School of Graduate Studies
- Bland, Bob, 1982-
- Ethical Fashion Initiative
- Bob Bland, CEO and Founder of Manufacture New York, speaks at The Hand of Fashion. Artisanal production and new technologies such as 3D printing are making domestic reshoring of productions possible, and are changing the geography of labor. Both the EFI and Manufacture New York collaborate with new brands in the U.S. while looking for artisanal capacities for product development domestically.
- The Hand of Fashion series brings together industry leaders in sustainable fashion practices, as well as friends and collaborators of the Ethical Fashion Initiative (EFI). The EFI is a United Nations program that connects and enables artisans in developing countries to work directly with top fashion brands on an ongoing basis. Having worked with some of the most innovative fashion designers around the world, the EFI has developed a set of pioneering sustainable practices for the fashion industry. The EFI also mentors new designers from Africa and collaborates with high-end retailers all over the world.
- Simone Cipriani, the founder of EFI, presents the various aspects of sustainability in fashion through conversations with a number of key industry experts, managers, and designers. All the guests have collaborated with the EFI, and each bring different aspects of innovation in sustainable fashion to their work.
- The series of discussions are intended to widen the understanding of sustainability in fashion design and to enable and encourage sustainable thinking as part of fashion, which will help establish a new normal in the industry.
- In Copyright
- This video was produced by the Fashion Institute of Technology ("FIT") and is the property of FIT. FIT expressly prohibits the copying, displaying, or uploading to a website of any portion of this video, except for the purposes of fair use as defined in the copyright laws, without express written permission from FIT. This video has been made available online by the Fashion Institute of Technology Gladys Marcus Library strictly for research and educational purposes. If you are the copyright holder for content in this video and have any objections to this work being made available online, please notify us immediately at [email protected].
- FIT Repository ID: aod_000739
Fashion Institute of Technology. (2016, February 26). Making in NYC Versus Africa [Video]. Archive on Demand. https://archiveondemand.fitnyc.edu/item/26498
Fashion Institute of Technology. "Making in NYC Versus Africa." Archive on Demand, 26 Feb. 2016, https://archiveondemand.fitnyc.edu/item/26498
Fashion Institute of Technology, "Making in NYC Versus Africa," Archive on Demand, February 26, 2016, video, https://archiveondemand.fitnyc.edu/item/26498